Having had some beetroot in this week's vegbox, I thought I'd make another beetroot and chocolate cake, but in searching for the recipe I found this instead:
Beetroot & Banana cake
- 450g self-raising white flour
- 1 generous tsp-ish grated nutmeg (completely guess as I just grated it straight in)
- 1 generous tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 generous pinch (the benefit of having large fingers) ground cloves
- 1 generous pinch ground ginger
- 275g light brown sugar
- 125g walnuts, chopped
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 350g cooked beetroot, grated
- 4 medium eggs
- 300ml sunflower oil
(Would have put some coriander in too, but I'd run out. Likewise I would have put some cream cheese icing on it, but also found I'd run out of icing sugar - it didn't really need it though.)
Sift flour and spices.
Stir in sugar, nuts, beetroot and bananas.
Add eggs and oil and beat until incorporated.
Bake at 180C for around 1 hour
(tweaked from a recipe from Abel and Cole)
The cake mix was the most amazing shade of red when it went into the oven, was very disappointed when I got it out and it was pretty much the same shade of brown as a carrot cake, but with a slight red tinge. Oh well, at least it tasted nice.
There was also red wine cake, but I've already posted the recipe for that.
Oh, and, 100